Saturday, September 11, 2010

Set up and ready

I do believe the new toy is ready to go.  Glad I decided to get everything set up ahead of time.  I was having nightmares about trying to get the thing set up and going for her all in hour or two after she recieved her gift.  As normal, a new computer takes a bit of time and effort to get it all up and running.  I had help with the security software, my reliable 'IT guy' helped me out on Friday.  I also loaded Office 10 for her, she can begin work right away....yeah, I know, more playing than work! ;)  Wireless took awhile, most of the time lost was due to Windows 7 as it doesn't let you know you've given the wrong password or ID.  XP tells me the ID and password don't match, this just tells me I'm not connected - bizarre....   And as always, new computer and new operating system can be a lot to learn in a short period of time (I still have XP).  I transferred all her music, data and pictures onto the new computer as well, she can work out her iPod touch on her own, oh, and the wireless printer I bought her.  I even put a picture that says "Happy Birthday from Pa and Grandma" as the desktop, so when she runs the computer for the first time it has a built in birthday card.  The things we do for our kids! :)

I realized I should also upgrade to Windows 7 and Office 10, while I still qualify for student professional versions.  I checked the store prices by chance, I read the price tag descriptions just to be sure I was reading it correctly, I couldn't believe how expensive they've become!

I am going to bundle myself up, watch a movie and relax for the evening. :)

5 comments:

Karin said...

Sounds like you've got your hands full, as usual! But nothing stops you, right? One thing that came to my mind reading your previous post now, was something my daughter's lecturer said regarding the job applying business. He made a point of how differently we men and women view this process, and in general:

The man sees ONE thing in the ad that he CAN do and applies for the job. The woman sees the ONE thing she CAN'T do and skips the ad...

Something to think about...

Good luck, with the hunt. Sharpen your swords and load you guns!

Erica said...

I certainly am!!! I have 3 different jobs to apply for, I hope to have at least one interview out of the lot! Timely advice! I can certainly use it right now, as you said, women see what they can't do. I'll make a point of focusing on all that I can do!! :) All very well paid positions so keep your fingers crossed!

Yes, certainly have my hands full, and as usual, only added to the load by purchasing a new TV stand. Took me HOURS to put it together which for me is quite unusual....I find IKEA stuff easy to assemble, but this was anything but easy! It's together now and the old has found a its new residence in the garage. I'm just in the process of taking the corner desk out of the livingroom as the new laptop makes it obsolete. I'm looking forward to gift opening this evening!!!! :)

Karin said...

New laptop! What a treat for geeky girls like us... and a fantastic tool for finding treats for the wilder girl inside us. And yes, we can work with them as well..

Toril said...

OMG - You made a new blog, and I just noticed!!!! Where the hell have I been the past 6 months? Scary, and I'm speechless! I love it, Deb - well done :)

Erica said...

I don't know where you've been! ;) I was bored with the old look so I decided to invest a bit of time on a new one. :)