Monday, September 03, 2012

A Different Perspective

It shouldn't come as a surprise the differences of opinion people may hold can be based on life experience.  I encountered one instance last night during a family dinner.  There was much debate over the tip left for the waitress.  I insisted on a 10% tip, others in the group ranged from no tip to 6%.  I am the one with the highest level of education and the one with the lowest income (doesn't say much about continued education or my topic of study).  So that may be why I have greater sympathy/empathy for those working in a service industry.  I've lived through very lean periods in my life; my first round at university was one such instance.  I recall telling friends I couldn't go out for the evening because I was broke.....  It wasn't until a number of years later after some decided to return to school, they truly understood 'broke' actually did mean absolutely no money

I decided to return to university hoping the additional investment in my education would give my family greater opportunities, with that, I returned to the sometimes (most of the time) difficult task of juggling household expenses and a limited budget.  To add to the mix, I now had a family to try and support.  Limited budget, little support and no understanding from society is an exhausting combination.  Childcare becomes an all consuming juggling act with each day bringing its own difficulties.  I've witnessed and experienced the combination of limited availability, poor care, excessive fees and no flexibility which eventually leads to depression.  The choices we're forced to make can be heart wrenching.  I attended a roundtable discussion held by the Graduate Students' Association for students with families; I was sad to discover I was one of many in this position.

Back to the initial topic; because of my life experience, I look at the person behind the cash register, waitress/waiter or any other service personnel with gratitude.  I have no idea what their life circumstances may be, so if I can ease their burden a bit by giving $3.00 extra in their tip I will do it.  It is impertinent to assume they can just go out and find a 'better' job.  Childcare may be an issue.  Maybe they have been trying to find something 'better'.  Maybe they are new to our country and have English as a second language making it difficult to find something 'better'.  It is also disrespectful to assume service industry jobs are only temporary, a stepping stone to something else.  Granted a lot of positions are filled by students and as such are only temporary but does this mean we can treat them as servants entitled to no respect?  And there are those who find the work rewarding and fulfilling; the bottom line for me is, I don't want to be the one who disrespects them, their time and energy put into providing a service to me by leaving what I perceive is an insulting tip. 

No comments: