Sunday, August 02, 2009

A busy weekend!


It's been a crazy, busy weekend. We spent Friday out at my parent's roofing one side on one of the old grain bins, Sunday we finished the other side. All the old grain bins are used for storage these days, what you may ask, don't know, but they're all full!!! I guess I come by my hording through observation! I was impressed with my daughter's carpentry skills, she's really good at swinging a hammer! We both learned how to shingle a roof - something I never really paid much attention to, but I could certainly do it now.;) I even managed to get on the roof to work, getting off was a bit tense, but I did it!

Saturday we went to the Heritage Days Festival, it was a fun time, however the weather didn't really cooperate - for me that is, it was 30C! There was a lot to see, many more tents/Countries participating, I think over 60 this year. The last time I went there was less than 40. The festival is held in Hawarelak Park, which used to be Mayfair park for those of us old enough to remember.... ;) Lots and lots of walking, good food, and stuff to buy. We made it home before the storm hit so we were gone by the time the police evacuated the place. I can't imagine 20,000 people trying to leave at the same time! You can't drive in to the park; you have to walk, bike or take the bus, so I think they tried to get as many people on buses and out of there as quickly as possible. I was so exhausted I had to go to bed at 8:30! I just couldn't stay awake any longer!!!! I must be getting old! ;)

The storm wasn't too bad here, however it hit Camrose full force. Camrose is a bit south east of Edmonton, they have the Big Valley Jamboree there every year. It's an outdoor concert for the long weekend, country music mostly. A number of people were hurt and one person died when the stage collapsed. They were trying to get everyone off the stage when the winds hit, after that I guess it was just seconds before all hell broke loose. The weather here can be very unpredicatable this time of year, the heat means anything is possible. Black Friday was the same weekend 22 years ago when a tornado hit Edmonton, so this is traditionally a bad time of year for weather.

One more day to the long weekend, I think I'll stay home and rest!!! :)

5 comments:

Toril said...

You all look so busy, and the only one I actually recognize is your dad... I believe I also see Anika in the background, right? It's fun doing creative work, and Anika probably has it in her genes on both sides of the family :)

Seems that you still have mad weather over there on the prairie, I had forgotten how extreme it gets!!

We've had horrid July weather with a lot of rain and hardly any sun at all, but it's been sunny and warm these past two days, and I've been suntaning my white body while reading an outstanding book called The Poissonwood Bible, a story about the Congo and missionary work in the 50s and 60s - it's been lovely with the warmth of the sun and a visit to my own conciousness and life - in spite of ridiculous Babtist missionary idealists and corrupt African leaders!!

The best weather is in the north though, and I wish I was there carelessly floating around on my sailboat without any worries or regret :)

Love you my dear friend!!!!!!!!

Erica said...

Anika is in the back, Corinne is infront of her, the big kid is Garett, Corinne's youngest. My mom is in the background with the blue shirt and shorts. Yes, they've all changed a lot over the years! It was sure fun being outside and working hard again, there's nothing like physical work to make you feel happy! :)

Yes, the weather certainly has a way of getting your attention around here. We're still cleaning up from the storm two weeks ago, that hit my neighbourhood quite badly. The neighbour lost a big tree, fortunately it feel onto the lawn and not his house! Another neighbour lost shingles off his roof, thankfully we only lost power for a few hours, no damage to my place at all.

I hope August brings you good weather! A lot more days in the sun reading!! :) It does get a bit frustrating with continual clouds and rain. Are you planning another trip up north? It looks absolutely fabulous up there, not that the south is bad, but it just looks different up there, especially for someone from the prairies! ;)

Take care my friend, enjoy the sun and your book! :o)

Erica said...

Who's nakedie butt am I looking at??? ;o

Toril said...

Not anybody special, just found him on Google - and liked the picture and the body ;)

You can read the article here:

http://www.dagbladet.no/dinside/2008/10/07/549437.html

As you know, I adore the north a lot and I've actually stood here

Erica said...

It is very beautiful, so different from other areas! And of course I think you're absolutely NUTS to be standing on a ledge like that!!!! ;)

I'll have to check out the article on the nakedie butt guy! Very nice scenery all the way around! :)